Thursday, July 15, 2010

'End of the Weak' Mix #6



It's been a while... I know I shouldn't have kept you waiting... but I'm here now. I'm the absolute freakin' worst at updating this blog... I guess it just shows that I have NO idea why I even have this running. I said it wasn't going to be a music/download blog because I don't wanna deal with the legal aspects of it. In a sense, I'm not trying to be a pirate but I'm merrily trying to get people to--in a sense--open their mind to music that they may otherwise turn their head to.

Now that doesn't mean I'm this super-cool dood that listens to UnDeRGroUnD hipster tunes... or that my tastes are stereotypically pulled from American radio; but I just know what I like. I love melodic songs... songs that make me wanna move around and dance. Whether it's club music or trance or a slow melodic song that makes me sway.

With all that said...


Today's mix is brought to you by Queen Oda Mae Brown warning you of danger.



12. Sunday Girl - Self Control (Fenech-Soler Remix)

I don't really know much about this chick... I just know that apparently other producers/mixers know how to beef this broad's songs up. Diplo's mix of "Four Floors" was amazing! This time electro-pop group Fenech-Soler mix this Sunday Girl track. Maybe She should release a debut album of just remixes.




11. Trina - Superstar (feat. Pitbull, JR Reid, & Qwote)

So apparently this is the fully remastered version of "Superstarr" from the "Who's Bad?" mixtape and was to be on "Amazin'". I wish it would've kept Trina's vocals singing the "chorus" instead of Qwote or whoever. I also could've sworn I've heard Pitbull's verse on here elsewhere. I could be wrong tho. The song samples Nirvana's 'Smell's Like Teen Spirit' and is said to be produced by Jim Jonsin... not entirely sure if that is true or whether it was ever planned to be on "Amazin'" or not.




10. Penguin Prison - Worse It Gets (RAC Mix)

Penguin Prison is the "guise" of NY native Chris Glover (think Thin White Duke & Stuart Price). I don't quite know much about him except that this track is pretty neat. It's remixed by Andre Allen Anjos of RAC. It's a very nice summer-y electro-"funk" track.




9. Drake x Kanye West - Find Your Lights (Find Your Love x Flashing Lights)

I am absolutely not a fan of Drake. I find him to be a pretty weak radio rapper. A step above Soulja Boi but not as great as--let's say-- Jay-Z or something. I like this mashup a lot. It probably works more than it should considering Kanye produced "Find Your Love".




8. Crystal Castles x Klaxons - Atlantis to Interzone

Considering this is basically a remix and not a mashup it should read "The Klaxons - Atlantis to Interzone (Crystal Castles Remix)" but I had already uploaded the Crystal Castles pic and that is how it reads in my iTunes. I just wanted to get that out of the way.

This is a slower version of one that was released a while back that was a lot faster. I prefer this version anyway. I can fist bump slowly to it. There is something to melodic to it. It's very hypnotic. It draws you in and keeps you wanting more.




7. Christina Aguilera - Bobblehead from the 'Deluxe Edition' of Bionic

This track is produced by both John Hill & Switch. John Hill worked on Santigold's debut and Shakira's "She Wolf" album. Switch is part of Major Lazer (with Diplo) and has done numerous remixing and producing for many artists from Kelis to Santigold to M.I.A..

The beat on this is SICK. I just love it. So the lyrics aren't groundbreaking or thought provoking but it's nice to hear a nice Christina song to move to... considering Christina excels best at slow paced boring ballads.




6. Miley Cyrus - Liberty Walk from the album Can't Be Tamed

Miley says this song is about being in an abusive relationship and finding the strength to walk away... but i think after listening to it, it sounds more like a gay empowerment anthem. I have nothing wrong with that and I wish (if it was about that) Miley doesn't have a problem with that.

The song is totally catchy and totally empowering. I really hope it's a single. I'd love to hear some dope dance mixes... especially considering Dave Aude is working with Disney people now (hey! he's gotta make money somehow...)




5. Sleigh Bells - Treats from the album Treats

There is something about the riff to this song and the distorted vocals from Alexis that make me want to have a third trimester abortion. I am thoroughly obsessed with this song. I blare it while driving down elementary school zones with my gucci face on and my fist bumping arm held high.

My favorite part of the song is at 2:35... it just gives me so much fucking life.

M.I.A. actually samples the song on a song off her new album /\/\/\Y/\... but more on that later on...




4. M.I.A. - Tell Me Why from the album /\/\/\Y/\

There is something about this song that I really admire. And no it's not because it was produced and co-written by Diplo. I love that it's Maya singing instead of rapping or talking. I don't mind the auto-tune... I think it compliments the song quite nicely.

I really love it... It's pretty damn good.



3. Kylie Minogue - Too Much from the album Aphrodite

Written by both Jake Shears & Calvin Harris and produced by Calvin himself... this track is absolutely pop perfection. It's everything a pop song could ever be or thrive to be. It's fucking amazing. Excellent production and excellent execution by queen Kylie.

Aphrodite could possibly be one of my favorite albums of '10. It's pretty reminiscent of Britney's Blackout, in a sense, that both albums are dance orientated and have very little slow paced songs. You could put both albums into a stereo and dance from start to finish.



2. Kylie Minogue - Illusion from the album Aphrodite

This song... consumes me. It's so dark disco delicious. It makes me wanna dance with my mascara running. Reminiscent of a Madonna meets Ace of Base song but it's not... It's queen Kylie. This song is just amazing. So breathy and melodic and decadent.


BONUS DOWNLOAD: Kylie Minogue - All The Lovers (Peter Rauhofer Reconstruction Club Mix)


1. M.I.A. - Meds and Feds from the album /\/\/\Y/\

THIS SONG GIVES ME SO MUCH DAMN LIFE. It samples the Sleigh Bell's song "Treats" (told you I'd bring it up later). It's like the best of both Sleigh Bells + M.I.A.. I blare this song everywhere I go and FUCK everyone else. Idk how I ever lived without it... A MUST DOWNLOAD. I promise you won't regret it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment